Saturday, May 22, 2021

Tianxia Hsenwi: Part 06: 991-1008: Collapse of the Khmer Empire

Succession went really well, vassals were all weirdly happy about it.

Buddhish faith was doing great as well. We recovered 3 out of 5 holy sites. Pagans on West Sumatra were being converted or subjugated one by one.

But there was still huge thorn in my side - Hindu Khmer Empire to my East dominating the region. I invited two nephews of the emperor, who both gladly accepted the true faith in exchange for my support.

There was just a small problem that the infidels had more troops than I did. I thought their emperor would be slow to defend his country, as he was involved in the eternal Chinese Civil War, but he somehow did the right thing and focused on me. However as his levies and mercenaries followed separated ways, I dealt with each separately, and that was his undoing.

The Khmer Emperor I installed got himself into a civil war almost right away. I intervened against the rebels and seized some coastline that was de jure mine, but then rebels won anyway, and another infidel got the throne. Oh well, can't win every time. Soon Khmer Empire pretty much collapsed between rebels and Champa invasion, and Sailendra Emperor took the leftovers as his tributary state.

As a good Buddhist I joined the monastic society, donated generously to charity (considering my wealth, it didn't cost me much), went on pilgrimages and so on. None of that relic stealing nonsense my grandfather was falsely accused of. I became quite zealous because of it. After I advanced in ranks, I gained power to instantly convert any province in my realm to true religion, about every two years, at minor cost of angering peasants a bit. We'll finally teach those Hindu peasants the truth.

I also gradually consolidated my control over Western Sumatra coast. What started as a few scattered trade posts turned into 20% of de jure Southern Islands Empire coming under my control. I don't have any specific plans for major expansion there, but Pagan and Hindu pirates raiding my coastline are sure annoying and things might escalate. Also it's very possible for the Incas to come here someday.

As I predicted my yearly income is about 2500, and my stat total went from 95 to 137.

Meanwhile the Catholic Crusade outright targetted the Orthodox Roman Empire, angering the Pope. I know it's been in the game for a while now, but I haven't ever seen this. What they got was tiny, but remnants of the Orthodox Empire shattered.

In China Civil War, Tang Empire is very far ahead of every competing claimants, but simultaneously it's very far from actually winning, only controlling North-East China.


Orthodox Roman Empire was quite big, now it's shattered into each duke for himself


My position is really strong, but as I'm just a merchant prince, diplomacy is really hard. Even my cousin Pala king of Bengal refuses to agree to an alliance.
I would really love to have strong Buddhist allies in every direction, but feudal rules look down on me, even though I'm stronger and far richer than they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment