Saturday, May 15, 2021

Tianxia China: Part 16: 1075-1089: Consequences of Broken Betrothal

Having cancer at age of 23 was obvious sign from the divines that I'm doing something wrong. As if that wasn't enough, Gods punished me for my sins by only giving me daughters.

My physician convinced me that I need to become Buddhist and it's my only hope for the cure. To be honest the difference between Han Taoist and Han Buddhist is rather subtle.

Inca Emperor broke betrothal to my sister, and that meant war. I even managed to capture his new wife, and cut her whore head.

I sent a 40k expedition to Southern Archipelago as the biggest raiding fleet in history of China, and reduced their 60k foreign troops to just 10k. Then as they decided to invade a Buddhist duchess Maharani Sepiah on Western end of Sumatra, I came to her aid officially, and also sent my 12k retinue over. I hate leaving my lands unprotected, as that always attracts raiders - currently mostly Mongols, and keeping raiders away has been the main goal of Chinese foreign policy since time immemorial.

Unfortunately while I was trying to fight the Incas, my vassals rebelled, so I had to recall my troops, and duchess Maharani Sepiah lost.

I defeated the rebels, and in my generosity I executed only 6 of them.

I still had unfinished business with the Inca Emperor. I wanted to present his head on a pike to my sister, but he died in an accident, and it wasn't arranged quite like I wanted, so I couldn't recover the head. Then his son had a tragic boat accident, and then another was smothered to death in his bed in his pillow. And so the whole line of the unfaithful fiance was extinguished, and another house took over the Inca Empire.

While all this palace intrigue was ongoing, I joined some hopeless war of a Malay Buddhist count against his son, and it was getting quite far for the Incas, they started hiring mercenaries. This was their first lost war. Well, it would be nice if their whole empire fell apart, but my sister's shame has been avenged, so my troops sailed back to China.

Surprisingly Mongols under the newly proclaimed Ghenghis Khan showed up attacking Jin Empire, and my cousin decided that we join, and surprisingly on the Jin side, instead of kicking them from the other side as I recommended. I did not concern myself with his opinions, and declared war on Jin, so it was nice clusterfun.

My first doctor failed to cure my cancer, so I got another. He tied me up, cut off my balls, and that also did not cure my cancer at all. Medieval medicine is the worst. And I have 7 daughters and 0 sons. So unless a miracle happen, a woman will inherit. Or my grandson, that would be the easiest solution.

I never really stabilized my realm. So far unruly vassals are only kept in check by fear of my troops, so whenever my troops go to war and take some losses, the plotting starts again. Half sized demesne makes things quite hard.

Meanwhile our dynasty lost Khmer Empire to Hindu rebels of previous dynasty, after 70 year rule. What a shame. I offered son of the overthrown emperor some help getting his empire back, but he refused like a coward.

Once it looked like Mongol Empire collapsed, but somehow it recovered stronger than ever, conquered Seljuks and Ghaznavids, and now trying their second attempt at entering China.

Incas barely made any progress since the broken betrothal obliterated all their armies, and spent most of their time since fighting peasants unhappy with their foreign overlords

No comments:

Post a Comment