Monday, May 17, 2021

Tianxia Hsenwi: Part 01: 936-947: Chief Kiet Mookjai of Hsenwi

My two Tianxia campaigns so far required a tons of mid-game modding, but I want to do one that will just work. So I'm playing as a regular pagan, Shen culture Sanamahist 3-count tribal chief of Hsenwi and 2 other counties. Hsenwi is still there as a 2 province minor in 1444 in EU4.

Playing at half sized demesne was mostly fine, but it really forced not having council, as without that +2 demesne size from abolishing council, demesne is really too tiny, and vassals rebel all the time. So I'm back to full sized demesne, except I removed that +2 bonus, so it's about 3/4 of regular demesne. And now I can actually play with the council if I somehow wanted (but I probably won't).

The character is Kiet Mookjai, Strong, Ugly, Stubborn, Skilled Tactician, 4/13/7/6/4.

My Sanamahist religion has 22 counties and 0 moral authority, so it will be fun. Or I'll switch to Buddhist or something if I have to (real Sanamahists were forced to go Hindu).

I was originally planning the extremely longshot campaign of reforming Sanamahist religion - getting 3 holy sites, going from 0% to 75% moral authority and so on. Multigenerational project, all while unable to get out of tribal, as unreformed pagan.

I start as tribal completely surrounded by non-tribals, mostly of wrong religion. I somehow convinced a Chinese duke to give me his daughter for a wife, and this wedding was the biggest event in Hsenwi history so far.

There really was no way to go to any real war, so I've been raiding my feudal neighbours, and after a while, once his lands has been too devastated by raiding to be able to levy any troops, I invaded his territory. A king to the North tried to side with him as his tributary overlord, but he was too busy with vassal rebellion to do anything.

I tried to do that again, but Sale king of Ava saw those devastated lands, and went in first. This way of waging war is fine for a small tribe, but it takes years of raids, and by the time you weaken your target, someone else might move in instead, and it was all for naught. Except gold you looted, you sure get to keep that.

Now that I was upgraded from a common Chief to a High Chief, I could arrange a better marriages for my daughters - and I tried my best to get such marriage alliance with Pala king of Bengal, even though it took a lot of convincing.

After two successful neighbour subjugations, and some successful daughter marriages, I declared war to abolish kingdom of Ava, and called duke of Lien (who was a constant thorn in my side in previous campaign) and king of Bengal into this war. King of Ava was also fighting his own vassals. King of Bengal would sure prefer not to have a competing kingdom on his borders, and duke of Lien could use a break from Chinese Civil Warception (he was defending his pretender to the throne from some revolts) for something more manageable.

Unfortunately king of Bengal turned out to be too busy in another war and never sent his troops over, and duke of Lien died of old age, so his troops after helping a bit went back home. No I mostly had to win this war against Ava myself. Personally leading the troops, as my skills as a leader are crazy good.

It turns out king of Bengal had ulterior motives in this fight, and sent Buddhist missionaries to my realm, whom I couldn't just throw out without risking our alliance. So while it was all really bad for my prestige, we all converted, from High Chief down to the lowly peasant.

I'm not sure where to go from there. I could try to become a feudal king, but I'm also tempted to start a merchant republic in Pegu or so.

Meanwhile thanks to my easier decisions to proclaim yourself emperor of China from previous campaign, here's been like 10 claimants:

  • Zhou - in Vietnam (by my decision) - Khmer Empire already made them a tributary
  • Qin - in Korea (by my decision)
  • Cheng - East China (by my decision)
  • Wu - East China
  • Han - South China
  • Chu - Central China
  • Shu - West China
  • Tang - North China
  • Jin - North China, dead now
  • Liao - Khitan horde, not declared yet, but they have special decision, so they sure will
  • Jurchens - that's less likely, but mod also gives them a special decision, it's just very hard to do

Well, events forced this, so we're Buddhists now
There's only one remaining Samahanist ruler - tribal vassal high chief under Da Yining to my West. Weirdly same Mookjai dynastic name with a different shield, I guess Shan dynasty name pool is very small, so it could happen by random.

No comments:

Post a Comment