Sunday, March 29, 2020

Habsburg Megacampaign: Part 26: 1255-1261: Orthodox Emperor

It's exactly halfway through the campaign, and it desperately needs some modding.

CK2 starts really unstable, but by the time it reaches late game, all the factors that made it unstable are gone:
  • unlanded characters like rebels always use tech 0, so even if they had good numbers (and they don't), they'll never manage to siege anything down, and will slowly die to attrition
  • adventurers get rarer and their max size is capped at 30k, they're also at tech 0, so they turn from serious danger to minor nuisance
  • scripted invasions like Aztecs, Mongols, and Timurids (and a few more from before 1066) already happened
  • tech, artifacts, and buildings gives crazy bonuses to vassal happiness
  • tech, artifacts, and laws give lieges huge advantage over their vassals
  • unstable tribals are replaced by stable feudals
  • without gavelkind realms stay fairly stable, at most one king gets overthrown and his family member takes over
  • the world gets religiously (and to lesser degree culturally) unified
I don't want to revert what was done, and bring second wave of the Aztecs or such. Everyone got where they got fair and square. I also don't want to manually intervene every decade or so, as then that's not much of a game. I'd have made these changes in advance, except I don't play CK2 all that often.

However moving forward the following will changes:
  • more frequent random hordes
  • stronger random rebels (still at tech 0, but bigger nuisance)
  • stronger adventurers
  • vassals very unhappy about laws that give liege too much power
  • heresies start and spread much more often
And speaking of some good chaos, I expelled two Holy Orders from my lands, and we openly adopted Orthodox faith - including my son king Karlmann of Bengal who just won the crusade.

I didn't do any mass revocation nonsense, I just tried to diplomatically convince various vassals to convert.

Due to her father's mysterious demise, my son's wife Baia became queen of Georgia, Dailam, Armenia, and Al-Jazira. She soon faced 2 Sunni, 2 Paulician, and 1 Peasant uprisings in 6 years, and I had to help her deal with that. Maybe she's not that representative, she's ruling over unusually religiously and culturally diverse lands, for comparison I have zero non-Christian provinces.

What I did is not supposed to increase the frequency, just double their strength? I'll have to see how it goes.

Also Song China went full civil war mode - and I didn't touch any of that, just an interesting coincidence.


Orthodox faith has serious heresy problem, Catholics not yet, as they have really high moral authority, but we'll see how long that lasts
Indian faiths have no heresies, so my changes affect them the least

No comments:

Post a Comment