Monday, March 23, 2020

Habsburg Megacampaign: Part 19: 1199-1201: Fall of the Mongols

The Mongols after 47 years of lollygagging finally declared a real war, invading U-Tsang, Buddhist monastic feudal state, the strongest of their neighbours.
At this point they had 86k event troops, and 36k of other troops vs U-Tsang's 36k, and Mongol troops are much stronger horse archers and other cavalry, so outcome of that was never in doubt.

Mongols came out of this with minimal losses.

Well, I have a plan. Emerald Tablet - one of the most desired artifacts of the known world. It's a high price, but it was enough to convince Emperor of China to send troops to shatter the Mongol Empire.
The Mongols invaded Song China same time they invaded our world, half a century ago. It was time for a double revenge.

I definitely did not stand aside, and contributed full might of my army as well. The main fighting was in the Far East. landed around Volga and Caspian Sea, but I could be no more than a minor nuisance.

The nuisance plan worked, and Mongols sent a third of their armies to face me. I fought them in a glorious battle of Kangly, where 38k of my troops fought 26k of theirs, and we even killed slightly more.

The Mongols really couldn't handle this - with some armies fighting me, some armies fighting China, and even more armies wandering between us confusing by what they should do.

The Mongol empire got crushed. The former Mongol khagan still has an enormous army, 28k including 61k event troops, far stronger than any single civilized realm, and will likely start gathering back the clans as soon as Chinese and Christian armies leave. Hopefully he and various nomad clans will spend another 50 years fighting each other before they try to challenge the civilized world!

And hilariously I found another Emerald Tablet just a year later, so it ended up costing me very little. Well, about 2000 for that search expedition, which only had modest chance of succeeding, but still. So by the time the Mongols reunite, I have decent chance of pulling it off again.

Time to go home and join another war with the Aztecs.

Meanwhile the Shia Assassins got destroyed. Ghaznavid realm somehow shattered into 5 pieces while I wasn't paying any attention. After fall of both Caliphates these were the last centers of Muslim power. What's left now is just a chain of weak realms from Syria to West India, and some minor hordes.


The main fighting was in the East between Mongols and China
China had horrible loss ratio, and kept losing battles, but they inflicted pain on the Mongols as well
I don't think they'd win without my help


The second front, with some of my troops caught unawares, and suffering huge losses.
The Mongols could definitely defeat me or force me back onto the boats with what just arrived, but after losing battle of Kangly they ran away to face China instead.

In addition to warscore from occupations and battle of Kangly, I cost them a third of their troops which weren't there to fight China, letting China win.


With Mongols and (no idea how) Ghaznavids shattered, the East looks so fragmented
Still no idea what happened to the Ghaznavids, its sultan still holds 5 crowns, so was it enormous independence faction?

It's all going just great

No comments:

Post a Comment