Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Habsburg Megacampaign: Part 07: 1112-1119: My Nephew One And Only Roman Emperor

Kaiser successfully passed Realm Peace through the council this time, so I sent my troops to help my ally Queen of Sicily, and Holy Order of Knights of Sardinia in their fights against the infidels.

After my wife died I married claimant to throne of France, but until we have a baby it's all meaningless, and I'm old.

My nondynastic nephew Werner the Effeminate became the Kaiser, costing me 2 counties, but no big deal. Why the electors voted for someone with such nickname? I might be the most powerful vassal, but I'm not one of the electors. He's also matrilineally married to my oldest daughter Cecilie. Their children are 5 good Habsburgs, with duke Werner appearing as their double great grandfather.

He totally loves me, as I took his case back when he was a lowly count and pressed his claims to his ancestral duchy of Raetia. Also because he's "Effeminate" and doesn't mind at all that I'm his uncle.

Crusades were still on a timeout, so I did some border cleanup. I took part in many fights between the faithful and the infidel, as well as minor feudal disputes.

The Pope couldn't decide which crusade to call, so when I was finally at peace I asked him to attack Almoravids of Maghreb - the most powerful Muslim realm. Loss of Maghreb would shatter all Muslims this side of Jerusalem.

Seljuks lost second decadence revolt in a row, so they won't do much either. The nearest Muslim great power are Ghaznavids in Khorasan.

Unfortunately I'm 59, infirm, depressed, with measles, lover's pox, infirm, possessed, and lunatic. Only Voice of Jesus I'm hearing is keeping me alive, and that voice might have just achieved its goals.

There's still two years ahead to prepare the crusade, and it's likely that one of my sons will fight and hopefully win it. Which son? None of them are very impressive, and I'd rather nominate one of my nephews but that's unfortunately not possible. It might be my last decision.

Also a fun fact - asking for a crusade gives me -100 with the Pope for 40 years. Seriously? Fortunately the Pope and me are both very old and sick men, so it will be up to our successors to sort this out.


Eastern Roman Empire got destroyed by a civil war, and I'd be surprised if it got resurrected
There are strong Orthodox rulers like Georgia and Kievan Rus, but they're too far.
Greek, Serbian, Bulgarian, and Armenian minors are all too weak individually. At least they're at no risk of any major invasion, with Seljuk and Fatimid power broken, Catholics too busy, and hordes too far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment