Friday, March 20, 2020

Habsburg Megacampaign: Part 14: 1162-1172: Conquest of Aquitaine

My family was so extensively intermarried with nobility of other countries that it finally happened - my late first wife was daughter of king of Aquitaine, and now my oldest son and heir had claim on kingdom of Aquitaine held by a baby - baby who's my non-dynastic grandson as well. It's a very complicated family tree.

That was won, but my grandson Ricard still kept his second crown as king of Valencia.

My another kingman was king of Crusader Finland - it was basically oversized duchy, extremely undeveloped, with no de jure territory. He had insane amount of gold, piety, and prestige from the crusade, but didn't do anything useful with it.

Manfred got attacked in vassalization war by the Kaiser, and called me in, but I really couldn't do anything - by the time my troops would reach Finland, he'd have surrendered anyway.

Duchy of Tuscany somehow fell apart, so I diplomatically vassalized various counts in it, and recreated it as part of my realm.

Still, that's 6 kingdom titles for Habsburg dynasty:


  • me - Arles and France
  • my oldest son Poppo - Aquitaine
  • my nephew Wolfram - Scotland and Ireland, in HRE
  • distant kinsman Manfred - Crusader Finland, in HRE

As well as dukes of Fes in Maghreb, Praetnium in Egypt, and 3 of my vassal dukes.

I got attacked by 30k troops of Capetian claimant to France. While defending my claim I died at age of 70, and my son Poppo, Son of Satan, is now 3-king of Arles, France, and Aquitaine.

Popopo is a stressed and depressed lunatic in awful health, first married to Rurikid princess of Kiev, and now to daughter of Ghaznavid sultan, the most powerful Sunni ruler.

Poppo is probably not going to survive long, and he'll be succeeded by a 4 year old son, who is definitely not yet ready to rule over one of the most powerful Christian realms.

Song China managed to defeat the Mongol invasion, I think they have about 20% chance, so good job China!

Mongol event troops fell from 116k to 91k and they're still trying to consolidate their rule over steppes, with no conflict with settled powers yet.

Shia Caliph declared Jihad against Orthodox Georgia, probably understanding that attacking Catholics is suicidal.


First few successions were really easy, this one could be a mess if Poppo dies soon
That claimant with 30k troops attacking me is unlikely to do well


HRE is doing amazingly well considering they lost half of their original territory to my independence

Mongols are still taking their sweet time, it's been 20 years so at this pace they'll fight some actual feudal country by 1200 or so

My wife is a Ghaznavid princess, I guess it makes sense to marry into biggest font on the map.

Serbia is a fun case - Italian merchant republics kept attacking king of Croatia to abolish that title, as they had some cities on Croatian coast. Eventually the very queen of Croatia said fine, and crowned himself a king of Serbia instead. She also married a Jew, what a weird woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment