Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Habsburg Megacampaign: Part 23: 1226-1230: Dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire

I had 3 kingdom titles, and my oldest son and heir 2 more after his late mother. With 5 kingdoms there's no reason not to just get himself crowned Emperor.

Our family also had 2 double kings and 3 single-kings. In Christian countries we didn't rule, we were extensively intermarried with nobility. So if anyone deserved to be the Emperor of the Christian world, it is a Habsburg.

There are just two problems - Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire, and Emperor of the Holy Land. Kaiser is a far greater problem, as the HRE is not even a real country - it's collection of realms, including 2 double-kingdoms, and 2 regular kingdoms, and they should be free.
And even more annoyingly the Kaiser claims some land that's rightfully part of my realm.

Given all those issues, it's time to abolish the HRE, by force. Recognizing my leadership role in Christianity, 8 Christian kings joined by cause.

That was the most embarassing performance I've seen. Kaiser's armies were scattered all over his vast realm, and before they even showed up, Kaiser's armies in Germany were crushed, and demesne and many other settlements occupied, and the Kaiser surrendered without even fighting to the end.

I had one more son to handle - I gave Filibert a county, unfortunately he then died of pneumonia.

As Love Gardens of Provence got finished, I started building my second Great Work - Great Harbor of Nice.

My alliance with Georgia ended due to two unfortunately deaths, but Georgia was completely unconcerned by that, and attacked Timurids in a Holy War. That's ballsy. She completely wrecked the Timurids. So all those wars where I helped Georgia survive, paid off.

And so at age of 58. Or 62. There are conflicting theories about that, king Adam died.

His successor is king Hugh of Arles, France, Aquitaine, Sicily, and Africa. 12/21/12/17/13.


Scotland, Poland, Anatolia, Crusader Kingdoms, and (offscreen Maharastra) are other Habsburg realms
Scotland mostly did it by itself - I only gave them about 2/3 of de jure Scotland, after that they wer on their own. Anatolia and Maharanstra are doing very well for themselves as well.
Poland and Crusader Finland, not so much.


Hugh is for sure going to be an Emperor of something, I'm just not sure of what. There are so many options like Francia, some new title, Latin Empire, or maybe even restore Eastern Rome?
I'm not in a huge rush

No comments:

Post a Comment