Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Habsburg Megacampaign: Part 10: 1135-1137: Holy Roman Rebellion

I used all my connections with the Pope to get new Kaiser excommunicated before he had a chance to get crowned.

I couldn't get anyone to join my factions, so I just declared independence war on the Kaiser!

I had so many dynastic alliances I called rulers of Sicily, Maghreb, Acquitaine, and Croatia into the fight, as well as my cousin dukes landed in both crusades.

Kaiser had 3 times as many troops as me, as well as far too much gold to hire more, so I really needed those allies. Our border was more or less on the Danube - I was sieging Kaiser's holdings South of the border, Kaiser was sieging my holdings North of the border.

Somehow he got himself imprisoned by some African chief, and had to pay big ransom to get his freedom. How did that happen? I have no idea.

My allies did not follow my advice to siege, went North, and got themselves beaten up. Then Kaiser decided to rush South, and got half his army killed crossing the Alps.

Somehow Kaiser had enough long before the war was over. After just 1 year and 5 months he granted me independence.

To celebrate independence of Arles, I started construction of Magnificent Garden in Prevence - something that weirdly only independent rulers can do.

Shia Caliph tried starting another a Jihad for Arabia to get Mecca back, but it's going poorly for him, even with barely any Christians bothering to show p on the other side.

Kaiser's remaining vassals have no love for him, and the longer he stays excommunicated and uncrowned, the more likely they are to revolt. Disconnected lands in Italy which are not part of his de jure realm might also fall off. My holdings of Bar and Thuringia/Meissen will likely go independent as well. I'm not totally sure how it works.


HRE traded Arles for Scotland and is still the most powerful realm in the known world.

No comments:

Post a Comment