Thursday, March 26, 2020

Habsburg Megacampaign: Part 25: 1239-1255: Empire of the New Rome

I went secretly Orthodox, and had some conversations with friends about religion. At first there were very few of us, but it soon got out of control, and more and more people were secretly Orthodox, and quite often someone would get found out and get in trouble.

I created Empire of New Rome, abolishing 5 of my kingdoms into one - and while at it, also made succession in New Rome absolute cognatic primogeniture.

My vassals had silly ideas - one of them proclaimed himself a king of Thuringia, and since that was a disconnected exclave, and he was a distant relative, I just told him he can be independent king if he so wishes.

Some random Frenchman proclaimed himself a king of Swabia, and that was definitely too much. I revoked it and destroyed this title, even it really annoyed many vassals.

My kinsman king of Anatolia went Jewish for some reason. I think it must have been through a secret society, there's no other way the whole realm would convert at once like that. It didn't work out for him, he got overthrown, and his son and heir was a good Catholic.

Well, I might disagree with the Pope on the nature of the Holy Spirit, but we agreed that Bengal is a great place to export excess relatives to.

The funny thing is that there was actually a Catholic claimant to kingdom of Bengal, as it was briefly Catholic, and somehow claims survived many generations lates - she was a really old Danish woman. And then she had an accident just before the 6th Crusade started. I guess God did not Will her to become the Queen of Bengal.

I used the usual - show up before anyone else strategy to get 99% participation score, so my third son got kingdom of Bengal. By oldest died of cancer at age of 33 during the crusade, so my second will be my heir. My fourth bastard son died of rabbies. This is not going well.

It might be time to go open with our Orthodox faith. The world has been too stable.


Timurids are on brink of extinction
Leftovers of Mongols Empire, renamed Borjigin, are just happy taking tribute from everyone in their tiny corner of the map


The world is split between Catholic West and Buddhist East, and it's time to add the third option.
That brief Jewish Anatolia, that sure was brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment