Friday, September 4, 2020

Bohemian Empire: Part 05: 1491-1509: Liberation of Constantinople

Poland declared itself Defender of the Catholic faith, but then I attacked electorate of Saxony, and Poland did nothing, and every single one of its allies abandoned it. Well, they're Hussite now. Poland instead decided to help Sweden break free from Denmark. Teutons sided with Denmark, and they got destroyed completely in this war. Poland then lost interest, separate peaced, and abandoned Sweden lost.

Austria called me into a war against Venice, and called me into it. Somehow they managed to assemble an alliance so strong, we were even narrowly leading on the sea. And all that overwhelming warscore was used to get fairly little - Austria got Istria and HRE minor Konstanz, I got Greek island of Negroponte which I handed over to Byzantium; Genoa got Nizza from non-cobeligerent Savoy. I really hoped for an Italian province to start expanding into trade end node outside the HRE.

Mamluks attacked Tunis, and got themselves into a fight against Turks, Morocco, and some minors. The Turks were so weakened, that Mamluks managed to get two provinces in this war.

It was time to reconquer Constantinople! I was sort of hoping that the Turks would roll over and die, but they stack wiped half my army as an opening.

I integrated Serbia during this war, and discovered a new bug, that lands occupied by integrated vassal do not get transferred to the liege - they get returned to the enemy. EU4 has so many old bugs they never fix, but it's nice to know that every now and then I can find something new.

Overall the Turks were stupidly good at battles, and inflicted twice as many casualties as they suffered, but they were outnumbered by more than that.

They lost so much land in this they're no longer a valid rival for me. I guess Muscovy and Denmark it is. This is the first campaign where I'm pretty much always leaving the last slot open.


The Turks are still occupying Albania and 2 Greek islands, but with Christian control over the straits restored, there's not much they can do.

I allied Circassia with intention of diplovassalizing them, as well as the Mamluks to counter any potential Turk coalition.

Protestantism started, and in Naples of all places. Next centers of reformation spawned in Nurnbeg and Ravena.


With Turk problem largely solved, it's time to turn West and focus on spreading the right kind of Christianity

Austria managed to pass two reforms before losing emperorship to Brandenburg, and now authority gain is about zero, so no new reforms will pass until Reformation is solved. I'd prefer someone even weaker like Hesse, but it's still an improvement.

Austria is surrounded by 1 Hussite and 3 Protestant Centers of Reformation, so they might very well end up flipping, and that will make the inevitable League War so much easier.

Defenders of the Faith are being really annoying. Currently it's France, Muscovy, and the Mamluks.

No comments:

Post a Comment