Sunday, April 26, 2020

Habsburg Megacampaign: Part 38: 1350-1360: The End of The Middle Ages

I increased Orthodox heretic spawn rate, as there was just far too few and still a lot of game to go. It's really hard to mod this, as CK2 heretics aren't linear - they either don't exist, or there's a death spiral of religion into clusterfuck of heresies.

Lollards finally won majority over Catholics, but it's a 5-way race. Soon Catholics came ahead as primary, then Lollard again. It will probably keep flipping for very long time. Being primary is the worst, as counties flip from primary to random heresy (except when neighbouring existing heresy, they prefer that one). AI can't really stop the heretic death spiral.

After victory over Song China, it was time to demobilize, and to release Bengal and Bulgaria as sovereign kingdoms. I don't want any king tier vassals.

I still have a lot of heretic vassals.

King of Germany and Franconia, who lost Germany a while back, just recreated it. I need another plan for that guy.

My sister empress of China declared war to make Pope a tributary state of China - who was already my tributary. I guess Pope has some cities in India, but it's still weird.
Chinese armies took forever, but they ended up winning, making Pope a tributary, and messing up my font placement. Oh well, I can live with it.

Then she magically flipped Pisa from my tributary to Chinese tributary. OK, this is annoying, but still totally my fault.

At this point I've been thinking what I want to do with this campaign. There's 84 more years to go in CK2, but really not much to do. And then in EU4 it's not going to be a terribly interesting game.

Maybe surviving as Orthodox German China with 0% religious unity could be entertaining, but I'd probably stabilize in 20 years tops, and then there would be nothing left to do.

I thought about making myself HRE, and making Protestant Reformation spawn against Orthodox, but that would probably be really easy as well.

Interestingly there's now new fanmade CK2 to EU4 converter, with some extra fancy features. Unfortunately it hard crashes when I start converted game in EU4.

I was fun while it lasted. Here are some maps.


The New Rome would cover the whole map if I didn't release parts as independent countries every now and then


There's a bit of Surprise Buddhism challenging Orthodoxy, but I could wipe it all out in a few wars if I really wanted


Mongol culture spread like crazy due to special nomad mechanics (pasture provinces convert to owner culture automatically, so brief Mongol Empire had lasting cultural impact)

German culture definitely spread to Provence, Italy, Finland, and a few other places, but it doesn't really look that special. In CK2 characters far too easily flip to local culture, so there are Habsburgs of every local kind. I don't hate the concept, but it's not tuned properly.


Even non-Imperial lands are mostly Habsburgs

2 comments:

  1. is fun and balance updated on your github?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The source code is on github. The built mode should be on Steam. (not sure if Steam Workshop Downloader still works for EU4? if not I guess I should put a zip somewhere too)

    ReplyDelete