Sunday, April 12, 2020

Habsburg Megacampaign: Part 36: 1328-1342: Catholicism in Crisis

Orthodox Habsburg ruling line in Georgia was about to end, with it falling to some Turkish Jains. I wasn't going to allow that, so I organized invasion of Georgia, and distributed its lands among my kinsmen.

My son and heir Leopold died of severe stress, leaving my wife as my powerful vassal. I had 4 vassal kings:
  • distant kinsman Dietmar of Anatolia
  • nephew Teodosije of Bulgaria (including lands of Hungary)
  • wife Gulisa of Epirus, Croatia, Serbia, and Sardinia-Corsica
  • granddaughter Safiya of titular Carinthia, ruling OPM in our ancestral seat of Basel, and somehow big chunk of Southern Georgia

Vassals took some convincing, but I managed to take over and abolish Carinthia and Anatolia, properly integrating them into the Empire of New Rome.

I got challenged to a duel by my marshal, and I foolishly accepted, ending up seriously wounded, but I got better.

Catholics were being completely wrecked by heretics from all sides, falling down to 0% moral authority. I increased heresy rate, and left them on high for a while as nothing seemed to be happening, but I didn't expect that.

Basically as soon as Catholic moral authority started falling from its near permanent 100%, that resulted in more heretics, resulting in more moral authority loss, until it got completely crushed. Oh well, I toned down heresy rate, maybe they'll recover, maybe they won't.

And it wasn't just that - I did my best to undermine every Catholic country, then Zhao and Song troops invaded Britannia.


The world showing all my vassals as own countries. Catholic Northern Europe, formerly stable Britannia and a few big kingdoms, is in total chaos.
Kanem-Bornu, formerly most of Sub-Saharan Africa, went into Catholic-Monophysite-Fraticelli 3-way civil war.


Catholicism got so wrecked it has good chance of losing its primary status within its branch to the Lollards. Currently of 699 Catholic-branch provinces, there's 315 Catholics, 196 Lollards, 92 Waldensians, 52 Fraticelli, and 44 Cathar

Orthodox also has higher heresy spawn rate, but they get suppressed as they happen. Of 654 Orthodox-branch proinces, only 4 are heretics.

Maybe I should give Buddhists some heresies so they join in the fun? It's 263 really stable provinces

No comments:

Post a Comment