Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Iron Century Piasts: Part 11: 1055-1061: Emperor Przemyslaw

Succession roulette returned emperor Przemyslaw. I had to mod the game to make bloodlines hereditary through either parent.

Family council gathered at memorial service for empress Zwinislawa, and to avoid the inevitable family bloodshed it was decided that emperor title will be mostly ceremonial, and 10 constituent kingdoms will be ruled by their 3 kings and 7 queens having wide autonomy, and right to leave the empire. So far everybody's happy to remain.

Everyone was closely related:
  • Sambor of Bohemia - my father
  • Katarzyna of Wallachia - my aunt
  • Zofia of Sweden - my cousin
  • Zwislawa of Poland - my sister
  • Dobrava of Ruthenia - granddaughter of my great grandmother Zofia, queen of Lithuania
  • Zofia of Denmark - granddaughter of my great grandmother Zofia, queen of Lithuania
  • Savonia of Novgorod - granddaughter of my great grandmother Zofia, queen of Lithuania
  • Wszebora of Vladimir - great great grandson of my great great grandfather Mieszko, king Mieszko of Poland
  • Feodor of Chernigov - great great grandson of my great great great grandfather Siemomysl, king of Poland

It's a shame the game wouldn't use the "third cousins twice removed" and such system. I don't actually know what it means, but I'd probably learn after a while.

Actually we were a lot closer than that due to high degree of intermarriage between siblings and cousins.

And of course my wife Wszemila was also my sister.

Feodor's branch of the family became Russian provincials, everyone else was properly civilized Polish.

Religious Matters

So in spite of being the head of Slavic church of Perun, I was actually secretly Germanic. As was my wife, my father, and overall 6/10 kings in the empire. It wasn't anything serious, just a passing fad in high society.

Then again, rumor has it empress Zwinislawa was daughter and high priestess of Chernobog. And before that her mother Zofia was the lover and high priestess of Chernobog.

Chinese Wife

My sister-wife got punished for heir whoring and died of great pox.

Nobody in my family was available. I had a small affair with my sister, but she was already married to my uncle, and I'm not going to assassinate my uncle just to make her avaialble.

I was looking for a new wife for myself, and noticed that Pernette, a 1 year old Orthodox Karling queen of Aquitaine was facing a revolt, and was desperate for help of any kind. She's far too young for me, but I betrothed her to my 10 year old brother.

I sent all the troops to fight her revolt, got it to 99%, was about to deal them the final blow, but she white peaced the rebels the next day. Stupid girl.

I couldn't find anyone worth marrying in known world, so I send for a wife to China, and he sent me Wuyasu, a 20/6/6/4/7 attractive Jurchen girl.

War for Germany

Germany was in state of civil war, so I invited a claimant, had a quick religious conversion ceremony, and joined German Civil War, calling in queen of Aquitaine as an ally.

It turns out my claimant inherited Sariyi horde - small Cuman horde to the east of the Khazars. Khan Blush decided to settle in Germany leaving his faraway pastures to other Cuman clans.

One of major German revolts broke free, then parts of it started falling apart.

This didn't conquer Germany, but it guaranteed that it will be a total mess for a long while.

Southern Wars

I sent troops to install Slavic ruler of Serbia. Bafflingly, a faction almost immediately demanded installation of an Orthodox claimant, who then became my vassal. What's going on there?

I also convinced heir to Bulgaria to convert.

Umayyad caliph Adfuns the Evil attacked queen Pernette, so I came to help aid. Their army was about as big as both ours put together, but Adfuns refused to use ships, and he just couldn't coordinate between Pernette's defense of Aragon and my raids on African coasts.

Call for Crusades

After fall of Germany to Slavic Cuman khagan, pope Stephanus VIII called for crusades, but he was too busy defending Italy from Shia Caliph Nizam. Nizam's jihad was going well at first, but then stalled and ended up in a white peace.

The Pope is still busy defending leftover Catholic emirs of North Africa, but once those wars end, crusades will be called, and directed where?

Then again, who's exactly going to join? Umayyads took Spain, Germany is in ruins, France/Aquitaine is ruled by a Orthodox girl betrothed to a Slavic prince. England is the closest Catholics have to a real power, but it's also in state of civil war.

There's a band of Catholic states from Hungary through North/Central Italy, Arles, then North into Flanders, and then British isles.

Oh and Empire of the Romans in is state of civil war again, and I have multiple dynastic claimants to it.

So far Novgorod got inherited by queen of Wallachia, and Denmark got inherited twice. Most elder councils favor either my sister queen of Poland, or my aunt queen of Wallachia, but it changes a lot.

Germany used to be the strongest Catholic state, now it's completely destroyed.
Aquitaine/France might join the family soon.
I'm not sure why Serbia became my vassal, I'll probably just release them.

No comments:

Post a Comment