Saturday, June 15, 2019

Iron Century Piasts: Part 06: 1000-1014: Daughter of Chernobog

When my daughter Zwinislawa came of age, I handed over leadership over cult of Chernobog. Now it was time to give her Lithuania. At ripe age of 47 I retired to county of Riga.

Zwinislawa is a 25/22/20/42/25, genius, strong, envious, diligent, lustful, deceitful, ambitious, cruel, possessed, left-handed Grey Eminence. She's a 19 year old daughter of Zofia and evil god Chernobog.

End of Children of Mieszko

I matrilineally married a strong claimant to what's left of Empire of the Romans. I had a few babies he's convinced are his - one of them with my brother Zegota, who used to be married to my sister Danuta before she died of some minor illness.

Between one incestuous romance and another, I fought the Norse to retake South Baltic coast.

My sister's vassal high chief of Pomerania pushed hard into Denmark. Pechenegs completely collapsed between internal struggle, fights with Khazars, Bulgarians and us. I helped my sister defend from some German attacks as well. Not so long ago it seemed like we were at risk of getting overran from every direction, but our divine ancestors would not allow that to happen.

It wasn't going perfectly, and Germans won some of their wars against Poland, but overall it was going quite well.

King Wielislaw of Ruthenia and Novgorod died, succeeded by his son Mieszko II.

His wife queen Scholastyka died a few months later, succeeded by her niece Dobroslawa, daughter of Miroslaw, brief king of Novgorod.

Mieszko II had claims to all Piast lines. His father was king of Ruthenia and Novgorod. His mother was queen of Poland. And his wife was former queen of Lithuania. All three of course children of Mieszko.

The last surviving child of Mieszko was my mother former queen Zofia, now high chieftess of Livonia, and wife of Mieszko II.

Due to succession issues, two minor Pecheneg hordes broke free, but they're far from the menace of a few generations ago. Khazars could be dangerous, but for now they didn't threaten us.

Quest for Norse Ships

My husband kept nagging me about helping him recover his rightful Roman throne. It's a great idea, but we'll need a lot more ships for it. And who has the ships? The damn Norse!

Those wars took forever, but finally Scania and Uppland were taken by me. Also Holstein and Jylland by high chief of Pomerania, but Holstein was then lost to the Germans.

Norse Sweden went Catholic. Catholic Norway broke in half, with two kings of Norway in Norway itself (which finally went feudal) and in Scottish Moray (which is still tribal).

So many kings

50 Shades of Blue joins 50 Shades of Purple
Germans are the biggest threat right now, so Perun willing we'll see 50 Shades of Grey too.
I'll probably expand further into Scandinavia, as it's heavily fragmented.
Those wars tend to drag on forever without decisive battles, and my vassals hate me for it.

Hungary had two kings as well, one became tributary of Bohemia, the other had just scraps of land.

Empire of the Romans had 3 emperors, in Constantinople, Nikaea, and Georgia.

Greek adventurer spawned in Mesopotamia, and somehow became kingdom of Apulia, located mostly in North Persia and North Mesopotamia.

None of that was close to how many kings France had. There was king in Troyes, king in Toulouse, king in Barcelona, and queen in Bourbon - Waldensian for a good measure. Kings of Breton Brittany and German Arles looked at this and wondered what the hell.

Fitna Fracture mod is really improving my experience here.

I think countries can recover from this, Germany was somewhat fragmented for a while, but it's back to being the strongest country in Europe. Maybe France and others will do well too.

I was hoping my family would finally go feudal, but Poland moved its capital from well developed Poznan to much more backwards Krakow, setting it back for decades.

Inheritance of Ruthenia/Novgorod happened without its traditional capital of Kiev, and new king set himself up in Chernigov, which is probably the most backwards village in known world, and makes even damn Krakow look like Constantinople.

No comments:

Post a Comment