Saturday, March 16, 2019

Italy Megacampaign: Part 24: 1733-1754: Panama Canal

I took over some Spanish colonies in the Andes, and a few more Indian Ocean minors. Everyone was guaranteeing everyone, so I had somewhat limited options without turning it into a world war.

There were rebels on a lot of random islands Europeans had, but with 5-10 year timer until defection, timer easy to reset, and disabled during wars, nothing ever happened with them. Wait, why don't I reduce it to 2 years? That's a pretty decent way to make rebels more meaningful.

I thought 2 years timers might also be just a bit too annoying, but rebels are so useless otherwise, that it was worth a try. And they now feel a lot more urgent. Also sometimes winning a bit against AI.

It was mostly random islands and tiny African colonies seceding this way, but surprisingly kingdom of Jerusalem fell apart too, with two big Orthodox states seceding. Quite often rebels like Animist Zealots sit occupy a province for decades, driving it up to 100% devastation, but it will never secede, since there are no same culture group animist countries to secede to. Should I make them secede my console? They've been de facto independent.

I was also waiting for something revolutionary to happen, but Revolutionary HRE declared "Spread the Revolution" war on Imerina - 3 province minor on Madagascar. Also Madurai, Kilwa (recently seceded OPM from another colonizer), and finally it attacked a bunch of German minors. Still, it's a very underwhelming revolution.

Ming was much more active and it grabbed some land in South America. Then they declared war on Provence which was being guaranteed by HRE, but HRE neither joined the war, nor cancelled guarantee. Is this some new AI cheat?

Well, I had enough, so I went to war with Ming. First goal achieved day one - break Portugal's silly tributary status. Second goal is to return land Ming took in New World to La Plata. I didn't take anything for myself.

The war demanded huge expansion of my fleet, but even fleet I had was scattered, so I started building Panama Canal, which only finished in 1754. Cost of 30k gold and about 600 mana from events.

That got me thinking - Japan is basically part of Indonesia, right? So invasion it is. Japan also held Kamchatka, so I took that. Then logic demanded that I take Russian Pacific Coast to connect it all. And for that matter Australia is part of Indonesia, right? Maybe my 1821 goal should be turning Pacific into Mare Nostrum.

Also I've been developing a lot of coal provinces and building furnaces for +5% goods produced bonus each. Colonists help a little, but mostly just pressing development button, as late game development discounts stack quite high.

8 properly developed Coal provinces mean +40% goods produced bonus, plus extra +10% for Coal production leader. I'll probably get up to 20 or so furnaces by the end of the game. Bonus is huge, but it takes a lot of gold and mana to set it up.

And yet I'm still not global economic leader. Italy leads with 1375/month, and I'm second at 1305/month. HRE's 525, Ming's 375, Spain's 325, and Commonwealth's 275 are far behind. Nobody except that has a serious claim to being a great power, secondaries like Russia, Great Britain, Denmark and so on are 100-ish or less.


The Future Mare Nostrum
It started when I purchased a province with coal from Brunei.
Pursuit of coal continues to drive it. But also rivalry with Ming.

No comments:

Post a Comment