Saturday, February 16, 2019

Italy Megacampaign: Part 07: 1522-1539: Great Council of the Venetian Empire

Orthodox rebels managed to flip Hungary Orthodox.

After some minor fighting in North Africa, I noticed that France would dishonor their alliance with Genoa, and nobody else would help them. I got two provinces there.

Hungary and Bavaria decided to use this as excuse to start a coalition. That brought in Muscovy and Denmark/Norway/Sweden as well as some minors. As usual, extremely painful for manpower, but in the end their allies got tired, and half of Hungary got partitioned between me, Serbia, Bulgaria, Wallachia, and Cathoric Nitra.

However, the true goal of this war had nothing to do with Hungary! Actually Florence was attacking Ferrara who I really wanted to diplovassalize. I couldn't attack Florence, but it was conveniently allied with Hungary, so I started this partly overlapping war to unsiege Ferrara and destroy Florence's army. Even more conveniently Florence's big allies like Burgundy got tired and did not resiege.

After that I thought it would be totally sensible to attack Savoy and Pope. It turns out to have been a rather poor idea - Austria somehow chain joined enemies, and those HRE minors added up to a lot more than I expected.

After far too much pain, I took two provinces from the Pope, released Urbino, took another province from Savoy (I needed it so I can diploannex Montferrat), and returned one core to Ferrara - sadly without any AE discount. And I converted a lot of those bastard to Orthodoxy.

I think I dumped 1000 sword mana into recruit generals to increase professionalism, slacken recruitment standards to get some manpower loop. Playing with limited mercs is harder.

All that fun got me to 1000dev, so now I'm en empire. Also I got parliament via reform - Venetian Great Council. As Venice I don't get any estates, so I didn't lose one here.

HRE is finally getting into heretic infighting. Protestantism basically fizzled, but Brandenburg went Reformed, Bohemia is still Hussite, and overall 10/36 princes disagree with emperor on church matters.

France and England keep fighting over and over in a mirror version of Hundred Years War - France has small holdings in England and really wants to expand them. It even managed to take London. I checked and Anglicanism can spawn even without London, just with worse mtth. England is overran by noble and Irish rebels, it wouldn't surprise me if it fell apart now.

And Castille finally reached the New World. The game really wants to be a megacampaign, everything is taking a lot longer than usual.

England is doing really poorly, and Austria lost its gold mines to Switzerland, as part of English-French wars.
Hungary got partitioned.

Reformation finally started happening
Will we see Catholic vs Reformed league wars? Without any player intervention?
What kind of F&B sorcery is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment