Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Montferrat: Part 11: 1549-1568: Roman Mexico

I got some serious AE in the Great Crusade, but I had vassal core return CBs on France, Castile, and Mamluks, so for a while I could expand while letting AE tick down.

I got all the Gascony's cores on France, took one province to release Orleans, and diplovassalized OPM leftovers of Brittany. Then I had a quick core return only fight with Castile.

There are more important things to do, like monuments! I got Alhambra upgraded to tier 3, spending a lot of money and manpower to speed it up. Total upgrade const is 8500 and 70 years, but you can add 10k manpower or 250 gold for every 2 year speedup, so going from tier 0 to 3 costs:

  • 8500 gold + 70 years
  • 8500 gold + 350k manpower + no time
  • 17250 gold + no time

Or some combination of them.

For low priority monuments - which is almost all of them - I'd just use the slow build option, unless my manpower is near the cap. Except for Alhambra, which got absolute priority, the rest of the monuments (and arguably a few others like Bagan Temples for +2 missionaries, Kanbawzathadi Palace for +2 diplo relations, or Krakow Cloth Hall for +2 merchants) can wait - I start tier 1 everything, then tier 2 everything. Once I finish all tier 2 upgrades and manufactories, I guess I'll upgrade them to tier 3.

I got into another fight with the Mamluks, just for Syria's cores, and Poland got curia controller and declared a new crusade on the Mamluks. Well, they could have done it a few month earlier. Oh well, it lasts a while. I took Mecca for +1 missionary - this is one of the few modifiers which they didn't turn into a monument.

I was trying to rush as many colonial nations as I can before someone else does, and I get papal ban. That meant sending a lot of troops to conquer Mexico. Unfortunately at the same time my French truce expired, and I had to attack them for vassal cores, but I couldn't actually do two wars so far away from each other. It's far too exhausting to keep flipping back and forth, so I had to leave French wars to my allies.

As I couldn't really fight the French, I instead went after Portugal, and took over their colonial nation on Caribbean. The Pope still bans me from colonizing, it, but there are no penalties for taking it by forces.

From France I took vassal cores and setup Burgundy as new vassal for the next war. I also want to take Paris and London for all their monuments (2 each!), but that might need to wait.


It's like Roman conquest of Gaul all over. I'm more than halfway there to Restore Roman Empire button, and I don't think I ever actually bothered, so I guess it's this campaign.

Subject Overextension is just a number. I handed over my Roman Mexico 340dev (only 28 cored) and there's about 200dev more to handover. I have 2 CNs so far, but I'll have 2 more soon (Caribbean just wait for cores, and East Coast only waits for last colony). I guess I can just seize French Canada and Castilian Brazil at my convenience.

Recent patches introduced different colony types etc. but for now I've been mostly spending tons of resources for some pretty colors on the map. Which is very historically accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment