Tuesday, October 12, 2021

With Fire and Sword: Part 05: 1498-1504: Swedish War of Independence

I got involved in Sweden's war of independence, which was complicated a bit by Danes having total naval superiority on the Baltic.

Not like it mattered, they were dramatically outnumbered and ended up losing. It's all vanilla's fault. In Fun and Balance they'd have 2 extra diplo slots, so they'd be able to offer more of a challenge.

Speaking of diplo relations limit, I'm two over, and it's annoying. Honestly I never liked the system and I think the game would be better off without it.

Meanwhile I developed Kosovo gold mines and moved my trade capital to Gdanks, so my income grew to 77, which is just slightly behind Ming's 86. I'll probably go over 100 soon enough just by reshuffling trade a bit. I'll need that money for courthouse spam, as I'm constantly near governing capacity.

I don't really see any chance of getting elected to the HRE, so those alliances with Brandenburg and especially Palatinate seem pointless in retrospect. The one with Burgundy was all RNG, and I think since 1500 passed it can no longer happen. As I'm not involved in the HRE, that alliance ended up pointless as well.

It would also be difficult to destroy the HRE, as Austria has only one elector ally, so I'd need to ally the other 6, and they hate each other. Normally they have like 3 or 4, so allying the rest is easy, but Austria really underperformed this time.

And I think that's really it. There's not even much point waiting for admin tech 10 to press that Commonwealth button. I have higher force limit than Ottomans by myself, not even counting Lithuania, Hungary, Bohemia, Ryazan, and whichever allies I manage to get into the war - and somehow higher army quality.

Overall, I would not recommend the mod. It is very poorly balanced, and doesn't really add much to the game. What EU4 needs is interesting CB mechanics like CK2 has, not 200 mods for each country to give them interesting CBs.

And as for all the mods that go for "playing tall", "internal politics", "roleplaying" etc. - this is wrong game for it. "Roleplaying" in EU4 makes as much sense as roleplaying in "chess". It sort of works in CK2, not here, and the extremely rudimentary roleplaying features EU4 adds every now and then like ruler traits or estate interactions, barely make any difference.

I guess I'll wait for 1.32.

Poland+Lithuania+Bohemia+Hungary+Ryazan completely dominates European politics

No comments:

Post a Comment