Saturday, October 9, 2021

With Fire and Sword: Part 02: 1457-1474: Danzig and Wallachia

The Danzig rebellion happened, but Danzig as war leader was stupid, and left Teutons with two provinces. This looks trivial, but it also delays my claim to Hungarian and Bohemian thrones by 15 years. Never trust the AI. I think that was caused by culture of those two provinces being Lithuanian and Polish, but I don't know if there are any tricks I could use no make them take them.

And since Teutons never sold Neumark to Brandenburg, I ended up with two HRE provinces, so I had to go to a distraction war with Crimea, so Austria wouldn't demand them while they were coring.

One thing led to another, and I took over half of Crimea, Theodoro, and Wallachia as a vassal. Now since Wallachia was disconnected, I then needed to attack Hungary for rest of Moldavia. I didn't want to take any Hungarian lands, as they were going to be mine after I got the PU later.

My subjects all refused to fabricate any useful claims, so I couldn't go to war with Livonian Order, or Ryazan, or anyone else I wanted to.

So it's been a lot of waiting. But I think soon I'll finish the Teutons, and I'll get the CBs for PUs on (my now-eclipsed former rival) Hungary and (my good ally) Bohemia.

During all that wait, I managed to increase my income from 22 to 35 (4th place after Ming, Mamluks, and Ottomans), but it's hard as Polish trade situation is terrible. That's another reason why the mod's idea of playing Poland "tall" is just ridiculous. You'd need to conquer more than Poland ever historically did to plug the trade leaks.

I'm still fairly modest with the conquering, so only a few countries had over 50 AE, and currently it's only what's left of Crimea. But those coalitions will definitely happen at some point.

So far the game isn't too broken. My impression of 1.31 was awful based on what it did to colonization and East Asia, but it looks like it's actually tolerable in Europe.

I feel like so far the mod did very little, and everything here might just as well be vanilla. Those claims on Slovakia and/or Silesia (depending who you ally and who you rival) were from the mod, but since Slovakia has a gold mine and isn't in HRE, every Poland campaign pretty much has to go there first thing anyway.

I did a bit of expanding, but less than I hoped for, as Teutons couldn't get quick annexed, Byzantium no-CB got delayed too much so it didn't happen, and both my stupid subjects just refuse to fabricate on Livonian Order or Ryazan, so I can't go East.

No comments:

Post a Comment