Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Papal States: Part 09: 1524-1533: The Kingdom of God

My ally Switzerland betrayed me and went Reformed. The heresies are spreading all over the HRE and Northern Europe.

However, I had much more important thing to worry about - the final province needed for The Kingdom of God. Savoy had a massive alliance chain, but our shared ally Spain wouldn't help them, so all I had to fight were France, Burgundy, and a bunch of HRE minors. Painful but doable. They even managed to besiege Rome, but I sacked Paris first.

Unfortunately just as I was about to proclaim The Kingdom of God, Poland - now turned into Commonwealth - called me into their war against Denmark. Amazing timing here, especially as I really didn't want to sail my outdated fleet to fight the Danes. Sweden took advantage of that and declared their independence - something AI did not ever do before this patch, so a nice change here.

God is definitely blessing me with money, getting over 230 gold per month, or 23% towards economic hegemon. I started revoking monopolies as well, that will take a while, but it will increase my income quite significantly. I'm using a lot of small tricks including getting a second gold mine in Morocco, it adds up.

Unfortunately due to delays by the Commonwealth, my truce with France expired, and together with 4 heretic HRE minors they setup a coalition against me. That's my first coalition this campaign, I'm barely over AE limit, and I don't even need to expand anymore in Europe, so it was fairly avoidable.

But now I finally have empire tier, and with it governing capacity to expand a little, taking next steps towards China.


It's definitely possible to squash heresy early, and if you're playing HRE emperor, it's the right thing to do. As Pope, you don't really get affected by heretics all that much. 


I don't plan to expand in Europe much, now it's slow way to China.
Allies - Portugal, Spain, Switzerland (I might drop them as they're heretics now), Austria, Commonwealth
Vassals - Morocco (will get its cores back from Portugal, in exchange for favors), Karaman, Trebizond, Syria (still OPM)


No comments:

Post a Comment