Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Papal States: Part 05: 1473-1491: Third Ottoman War

I managed to just barely diplovassalize Ferrara. I allied HRE emperor Cleves, however embarrassing it is. It took me 2 over diplo limit.

I had to take a break to deal with all the rebels everywhere. They're just a nuisance, not any serious threat, but I'm playing a non-monarchy, so I miss -3 unrest from max legitimacy, I had 3 unrest from Shadow Kingdom before allying Cleves, and I play aggressively - expanding everywhere, slamming reduce autonomy as soon as I can, using Provoke Revolt a lot etc. Just deal with them as early as I can.

I got into a small war against Mantua and Saluzzo, but the most important part was that I gave some land from non-cobeligerent Milan to my allies Savoy and Switzerland. I'm getting it back AE-free later.

Favors with my allies kept accumulating, so I dragged Austria into pointless war with Herzegovina guaranteed by Venice, just to break Venice-Austria alliance, and as I was at it, break Venice's other good alliances in the peace deal. I made Herzegovina Catholic for next age's objective.

After far too much waiting, I started the Third Ottoman War. Actual war goal - Tunis. I'm really fed up will all the infidel raiding, so I cobeligerented them, and took most of their coastline. One more war and the main pirate spot will be done. The only other country doing it is Fezzan, but they're now a vassal of the Mamluks and almost annexed, so that will end it.

Once Tunis was dealt with, I returned all Bulgaria's cores and most of Karaman's. All that without a single country even close to coalition territory.

Coming next is finally a war with Venice and then Milan. I only have 6/13 provinces needed for Kingdom of God. Strangely God seems to live in North Italy, not like Jerusalem like most people would have guessed.

For second idea group I took Influence. I've been doing a lot of expansion through diplomacy, and it will save me a lot of points. Third one will most likely be Religious.

Cleves somehow won reelection, which is arguably even more impressive than what I've been doing. It looks like Austria might win the next one, and that would save me one wasted diplo slot.


The whole Tunis adventure is just a distraction, as they've been raiding my coasts and joining Ottoman wars. Even Ottomans aren't all that important, they're just in the way. What I need to do soon is get North Italy for Kingdom of God and Jerusalem. Then, God's secret plan can begin.


No comments:

Post a Comment