Sunday, November 27, 2022

Papal States: Part 07: 1500-1511: Heretics In Holy Roman Empire

I was fighting multiple wars at once to deal with North Italy, when Poland called me into their offensive war against Crimea. Is this a new thing? I remember AI not really doing this in older patches much, calling someone already fighting a war into another.

There's no great way to conquer North Italy, but I'm grabbing target provinces whenever I can. In one fairly big war, I kicked Venice out of Italy, so they setup their republic on Crete instead. Some delicate naval timing was required as Venice had stronger navy than me, but they were just moving their doomstack around so I managed to barely sneak in a siege of Venice, and that was it. I got the rest of Venice in a war against Trent.

I should build up the navy, but I'm behind on diplo tech so I'd need to upgrade it soon anyway. The big naval war will be with the Mamluks, but not just yet.

I still need to get the rest of North Italy for Kingdom of God, but once I do that, I'm not going to have much to do in Europe - the actual goal of the campaign is bringing Catholicism to China after all. I mean, it's not like the Holy Roman Empire is going to suddenly turn into a den of heresy, right? Well, it turns out some heresy started showing up, but that surely won't be a big deal.

It was time to fight the Ottomans again. Cobeligerent Tunis, and that bring Mamluks into this, with fleet far stronger than mine, and my allies are not going to be of much use. Eventually Mamluks got tired of it, and I took all the coastline Tunis and Ottomans had. I also diplovassalized Morocco, I could give them some land over there, it's not of much value, but it will stop piracy.

I lost curia control to France. Well, it was great while it lasted. At least Austria got HRE emperorship back, so I don't need to keep Cleves alliance.

I took Constantinople and Poland took Moscow, which lets me end the schism between Catholics and Orthodox, but there's two other missions I need to do first.

Another important thing I'm doing is trying to get my income up as much as possible, so far I'm up to 113, which is 11.3% towards economic hegemon. In current patch military hegemon is better, but it's also a lot harder to achieve, and I'm only 9.2% there. It might not seem like a huge difference, but it's much easier to massively increase income from trade than force limit, especially once I eliminate Genoa and Ragusa.

Naval hegemony was always trash, so no point even bothering. There's also good reasons to take none of them whatsoever, as you'll be paying huge diplomatic cost, but that's for much later anyway.


The heresy is obviously result of Cleves' weak HRE leadership, and nothing whatsoever to do with Papal leadership of the Church. I'm converting about 2 provinces per year, and soon I'll liberate the Holy Lands.


Decent progress towards Mare Nostrum. I think I should have naval dominance in the next war with the Mamluks, as their friends like Tunis and Ottomans no longer have any coastline.


No comments:

Post a Comment