Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Papal States: Part 06: 1491-1500: Subjugation of Milan

It feels slightly embarrassing that so long into the game I'm still only Great Power #3, as Ming is still doing well, and Poland is slightly bigger. Well, not for much longer.

First, I needed to fight Venice. They were impossible to defeat on the seas, but I could still grab some of their coastline. By the way Paradox games universally have really awful naval combat systems, which nobody really understands. EU4 and HoI4 both.

After that I got into a second big war to vassalize Milan.

I needed a bit of peace to ask Savoy and Switzerland to return Milan's cores, but instead Poland dragged me into their war against Teutonic Order and Denmark, like I can do anything about it. Once it was over, I got Milan's 3 cores from Savoy and Switzerland, the same ones I gave them first to get Milan under 100% warscore (and to save on AE).

My issue with too many diplo relations solved itself, as my ally Switzerland called me into a war that involved my other ally Savoy, so it was one down either way. Savoy has one of the provinces I need for Kingdom of God, and Switzerland doesn't, so it's a pretty obvious choice.

Once my truce with Venice ran out, I needed to attack them for Milan's cores. I also need Venice for Kingdom of God, and to get more of Venice node trade. That ends up being a surprisingly big fight, involving even England.

I wanted to do some more serious expanding, but I hit gov capacity cap. It makes sense, as I'm now finally number one Great Power, with Ming being bigger, but not having Renaissance yet. I can use the usual ways to handle it:

  • finish admin ideas
  • get empire rank - which for Papacy is only possible through Kingdom of God decision
  • spam courthouses - fairly expensive, but with income of 80 and net profit of 30 a month, I can afford it
  • monument in Naples gives +50 gov capacity on tier 2, and +100 on tier 3, that's not too significant, and there are much better monuments elsewhere but this one will need to do

These are two separate wars, they add up to quite a bit
As an aside, I hope Poland captures Moscow, I need a Catholic power to hold it for one of my missions, and it would be such a hassle to go all the way there

No comments:

Post a Comment