Saturday, December 21, 2019

Best Korea: Part 06: 1486-1499: Ming attacks

My great relations with Ming didn't last long, and soon after Ming's rival Ashikaga got crushed, Ming decided to rival me and break our alliance.

My backup plan was already in place. In addition to Lan Xang, and Khmer, I also allied Oirats. So if Ming decided to attack me, it will instantly dismantle their tributary zone. Well, assuming my allies join that war, but AI usually joins defensive wars.

I also got Pegu for added protection, since it was ally of my ally, so fairly safe one.

Ming entered Golden Era in June 1493. I hope they don't survive it all.

I took expansion as second idea group. I'll need administrative and maybe humanist next, so my paper mana is going to be extremely pressured.

I started establishing tributaries in Southern Islands, and I got first taste of the Ming conflict, as Ming's tributary Malacca attacked my tributaries Palembang. I first sent my fleets, then even some troops to knock out Sulu out of the war, but it was like 10% participation.

Ming sent some insults my way, but didn't actually attack.

By the time second war with Japan was due, it was nearly unified, with just 5 daimyo under Ashikaga clan.

Order of battle, me:

  • 32k inf, 8k cav, 2k art (42k total)
  • 6 lights, 10 galleys, 13 transports (29 total)
  • I told my vassal Yeren to stay out of it, so not counting their troops

Japan, its 5 daimyos, and Ryukyu:

  • 36k inf, 5k cav (41k total)
  • 13 lights, 14 galleys, 16 transports (43 total)


With mil tech advantage of 8 to 7.

Unfortunately while I was happily sieging Kyoto, Ming attacked. Oirats betrayed me, but Lan Xang, Khmer, and Pegu joined.

Order of battle, our side:

  • 60k inf, 24k cav, 3k art (87k total)
  • 4 heavies, 24 ligcht, 22 galleys, 31 transports (81 total)

Ming:

  • 56k inf, 15k cav, 13k art (84k total)
  • 1 heavy, 7 lights, 15 galleys, 23 transports (46 total)

Ming at 43 mandate suffers minor penalties, and they have tech 8 unlike my allies still at 7.

It's about even in theory, but there's pretty much no way my allies will effectively coordinate it.

I already achieved one objective and removed 323dev of Ming tributaries from their list, leaving them with just 422dev. Unfortunately by this patch, non-tributaries no longer cause mandate loss, but at least Ming will gain mandate more slowly.

Also Ming is currently being ruled by a 1/2/3 empress with petty (-0.05 monthly mandate), as a regent for a 0/0/3 boy. That's seriously miserable.


If I can quickly finish war in Japan and safely move my armies and fleets to Korea, I should be fine. I'd like to use transfer vassal to get remaining daimyos cheaply under me for half price - I don't think I ever used this ability.

I'm fine with a stalemate, or even minor concessions to Ming, next age is just a few years away, and they get some painful disaster chain.

Best case scenario is that Ming somehow fumbles so hard they lose their mandate, and I take Beijing in first war, but I'm not counting on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment