Thursday, December 19, 2019

Best Korea: Part 03: 1462-1476: Struggles of the Peasantry

Reign of king Yung I Zhu started much less exciting than his predecessor.

For the first government reform I gave nobles more power in exchange for more manpower. I'm not really sure if it's better to do this, or take extra taxes.

First colonists arrived, and given choice between colonizing South or North, I chose Taiwan. Event founded second colony on Taiwan, getting me over colony limit right away. Paying 6 gold for 2 colonies is expensive, but nothing crazy, and they grow faster when they border each other.

I started getting some allies down South - Lan Xang (which has a coalition against itself) and Brunei. Not really sure what I'll do with them, I can't really spare any troops for colonial adventures, but it could change someday.

The Ming-Oirat war ended up with Oirat paying 600 gold plus reparations to Ming. As soon as that ended, Oirats immediately got attacked by Uzbek and Chagatai hordes.

I requested our rightful clay Gaizhou from Ming, but it was denied. What an outrage.

Toki, one of the daimyos, conquered most of East Japan, and so got 2 coalition wars, conquest war, and reconquest war against them simultaneously.

I got annoying Struggles of the Peasantry modifier giving me massive unrest. I was also at permanent 0 legitimacy, as Confucianism and monarchy apparently don't mix. Ming can get away with being Confucian, as it doesn't use legitimacy.

I even got a plutocratic coup ticking on top, caused by game inexplicably recalculating "Controlled Provinces %" for estates without anything actually happening. The most annoying part of estate interface is that the tooltip lies, and whenever I think I figured out all its lies, it turns out there are some more. They'll never fix it, they plan to replace the whole system in next patch.

I took one loan, developed all provinces in Korea to 6dev+, and that let me do the mission and get rid of peasant disaster.

Finally I managed to harmonize with Pagan religions of my Manchu subjects. That gave me -0.5 unrest bonus, as well as finally got religious unity to reasonable level. Coming next is Vajrayana, but that's a much smaller minority.

Both colonies on Taiwan are nearing completion. For now I'll stick to one colony at a time unless I get another by event.

Ming started another war against the Oirats. This could be good time to grab myself a chunk of Mongolia and maybe some gold.

Japan is down to just 14 daimyo vassals. It's reaching the point where attacking them would actually be sensible, but I'd need to invest money I don't really have into a fleet.


Borders didn't really change, but first of two unique Korean disaster chains averted.

Based in income and armies I'd say I'm about 1/3 as strong as Ming, and they currently have a much more stable country.

No comments:

Post a Comment