Sunday, April 28, 2019

Italy Megacampaign: Part 27: 1783: The End

I planned this as megacampaign, but it won't happen. EU4 to Vic2 converter doesn't look like it's going to get updated ever, and it's not just a matter of waiting longer, as next EU4 patches will come out, and mess with the export.

The world also turned out to be a lot more centralized than I hoped. Even with mid-game tag switch and taking things really slow last century or so, I can't see this being much of a challenge in Vic2. I planned to split the world a bit, but then it would be less an export and more a fresh scenario.

I felt that early game was a lot more fun than late game. It's not just the matter of being overpowered - there's just more meaningful entities to interact with. Early on there's like hundred countries that matter - if I'm Venice, then I need to care about Austria, Hungary, Ottomans, Pope, Milan, Aragon, France, Mamluks, and so on. And then their allies, and rivals. It's a rich complex universe.

By late game it's just a few fellow blobs, and the only thing keeping those trivial minors around is the guarantee spam blobs started doing a few patches ago.

Previous time I attempted to play till the end, late game lag forced me to stop early. This time late game performance was totally fine.

Some conclusions about experimental mods:
  • restoring tech groups brought tech differential back (except with Ming and its free mana), but I'm not sure if that really makes the game better
  • adding strong HRE emperor buffs is a great change
  • unrest and rebel buffs mattered relatively little, but were mostly positive
  • warscore changes mattered relatively little, but were mostly positive
As for my next Paradox campaigns, it doesn't look like anything new is coming to EU4, and the newly Imperator: Rome is universally panned as more an empty shell for DLCs to complete than a genuine complete game. CK2 on the other hand, that keeps getting great new content. Or I could check out what's up with new Kaiserreich.

Now that Google Plus is dead, I have two blogs where I sometimes post gaming content. Generally I'll post everything to my main blog, unless it's a campaign with crazy number of episodes, in which case it will go here. It's not great, but I don't want to open even more blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment